Saturday, February 16, 2008

Life or something like it

Hi all!

I'm back after a long hiatus. Sorry bout that. I have been awfully busy and been meaning to update this blog...so, here I am! So what's new, you may ask. Well for starters, I did get the second interview for Weather Command in Palatine, IL!! I am very excited. They're flying me out Monday morning from Fargo to Chicago. Then I have the rest of the day to myself (which I'm utilizing to see a special someone at the U of Chicago) then I interview on Tuesday morning. They're picking me up at 8:45 AM, and I'm assuming, meeting people the rest of the day. I'll probably have to head back to the airport around 2:30 since my flight leaves at 4:30. I really haven't gotten that nervous about this interview...yet. I'm sure I will, but I have a great feeling about this next interview. I think it'll go well.

I completed the first draft of my JGR (Journal of Geophysical Research) paper, which is a relief. I had to redo a couple of images to combine them because I have so many colored images and we have to cut costs. So, once that's done, my advisor will make some revisions. I'll be happy when it's done. The JGR paper will be the foundation of my thesis...basically, I'll expand and add more details to the JGR paper and that will be the thesis. Simple, right? haha. Well, since the first draft is done, the hard part's over, I hope. Also, my advisor seems to think that I could be ready to defend anytime. It's just a matter of finishing the writing. I think that's somewhat reassuring. They're happy with my work, and all of the analysis is done. Scary to think that I will be defending in about six weeks! Yikes!!!

Oh, last week I went out with everyone to celebrate JJ's birthday. That was fun. We went to JJ and Feng's apt for awhile to play Burnout and eat DQ cake. I can't say I've ever eaten an ice cream cake on one of the coldest days of year. It was about -20F out that night not counting wind chill. haha. Then we went out to our usual 'dance club' here in GFK - Gilly's Bar and Grill. Initially, I thought it was going to be a slooow night cause it was cold and no one was there. But sure enough, about 12 or 1230, the place was hoppin. We even ran into Feng's old roommate, Justin and all his buddies.

Lost was insane this week! This season really is living up to the hype.

Crystal's in town visiting everyone and it's been good catching up with her.

Oh, I made it in the local paper...front page, no less! The picture is funny cause my hair is obscuring my face almost completely.


Being apart of Super Tuesday was pretty sweet. I was supposed to be working on the paper that night, but I couldn't tear myself away from CNN's live coverage online. PLUS, there's a tornado outbreak in the south, so I had live coverage of that up, too. This is what my computer screen looked like:

The image on the left is one that Aaron sent me from his sweet GRLevelX radar program and on the right is live coverage of the Super Tuesday results. It's no secret (especially now that it was posted in the paper in the figure [finger? hehe :D] caption) who I'm supporting for the Presidential elections -- Obama. His speeches are the most uplifting and inspirational speeches I've ever been able to witness. Sure, I've heard the "I have a Dream" or "Ask not what your country can do for you" speeches, but it is an entirely new experience for me to see it unfold right before my eyes. See it become a part of history. Barack Obama's "We are the one's we've been waiting for" speech from Super Tuesday, I believe, will be added alongside the two speeches mentioned above.

Continuing with the current events topic....The recent shootings at NIU have saddened me. My generation has seen what the Columbine and VT shootings have done to change the way we think about school safety...forever, most likely. I would like to write more, but I think I'll save it for another day...

PhD comic:


until next time...


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had seen your picture in the Newspaper, and I recognized you at first sight.:-) But I think the pen that you were using is sort of interesting. Is that a spoon tying on the pen?